2019 Free Museum Day & Sacramento Museum Week
25 Museums to Participate in Free Museum Day on Saturday, February 2 —
Update — With 25 museums participating by offering complimentary admission, the 21st Annual Free Museum Day takes place on Saturday, February 2, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. New this year, the popular day is also the kick-off to Sacramento Museum Week (February 2-8, 2019) filled with special events, activities and activations at various museums. While admission is complimentary to everyone on Free Museum Day only, regular admission applies at all museums during Sacramento Museum Week. Coordinated by Sacramento Area Museums (SAM) with the support of Visit Sacramento, Free Museum Day and Sacramento Museum Week in 2019 are proudly presented by Sutter Health and sponsored by California Family Fitness.
“We are thrilled to present the 21st Annual Free Museum Day plus extend the fun by offering a new Sacramento Museum Week this year,” said Sacramento Area Museums Chair Delta Pick Mello. “We’d especially like to thank our presenting sponsor Sutter Health and our returning sponsor California Family Fitness for providing much-needed resources to help us to present these important events. Our continuing goal as a collaborative organization is to introduce the community to the amazing array of arts, culture and museum offerings available in the greater Sacramento region.”
Free Museum Day is a popular cultural tradition designed to encourage all members of the community to experience the Capital City’s incredible wealth of art, history, science and wildlife, free of charge. Many of the museums are within walking distance of each other and easily accessible via public transportation.
And, to help easily and conveniently transport guests who
wish to visit multiple museums in Sacramento’s urban core, Sacramento Regional
Transit (SacRT) is offering free rides on all buses and light rail trains on
Saturday, February 2 only with a printed SacRT Museum Day flyer (only one flyer
needed per family or group). A screen shot of the flyer from a smartphone is
also acceptable. To print or display the flyer, please visit www.sacrt.com. For more information
specifically about SacRT park-and-ride stations and schedules, visit sacrt.com/services.
On Free Museum Day, event coordinators suggest that guests plan to visit no more than two or three different museums on this day in order to allow adequate time to enjoy the experience and to travel between individual sites. Due to the popularity of Free Museum Day, some locations must limit the number of admissions for safety reasons. The event is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. but note the last guests will be admitted at 4 p.m.
Participating Museums for Free Museum Day on February 2, 2019*
Aerospace Museum of California – California Agriculture Museum – California Automobile Museum – California Museum – California State Capitol Museum – California State Library – California State Railroad Museum – Don & June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum – Folsom History Museum – Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park – Locke Boarding House Museum – Maidu Museum & Historic Site – SSVMS Museum of Medical History – Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum – Powerhouse Science Center – Roseville Utility Exploration Center – Sacramento Children’s Museum – Sacramento Historic City Cemetery – Sacramento History Museum – Sojourner Truth African American Museum – State Indian Museum – Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park – Verge Center for the Arts – Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall) – Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento)
In addition to complimentary admission, some museums offer special activities on Free Museum Day, a sampling of which follows:
Special Activities on Free Museum Day
– 24 local museums and popular destinations offer free admission along with some that will present special activities for guests, including:
– California Museum highlights include self-guided tours of “Before They Were Heroes: Sus Ito’s WWII Images, Unity Center at California Museum plus a free family history activity.
– Locke Boarding House Museum will offer historic docent tours (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) of one and only Rural Chinese Town in America.
– Maidu Museum & Historic Site will have a Mountain Maidu Basketry exhibit on display that focuses on the Baker family basket weavers. They will also have several kid’s activities and crafts available all day that includes a pine nut bead bracelet that kids can make and take home with them.
– Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum will serve cake and punch to visitors while they mark the anniversary of the opening of Sacramento’s first public school in February, 1854. Re-enactors will be present to show what schools and educators were like during that time.
– Powerhouse Science Center will have a DJ on-site along with science trivia, food trucks and other community partners with tables outside the grounds. Inside the museum visitors can experience the newly opened Expedition Science.
– Roseville Utility Exploration Center will host Bird & Bug Bonanza, a free family event held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Guests can peer through microscopes at pond scum, hold composting worms in their hands, watch bees buzz around their hive and meet some rescued ambassador birds. They can also flow down the storm drain on a journey to explore Cruddy Creek, an indoor interactive creek crawl then head to the game room to win prizes playing Busy Bees, Lady Bug Power and Flip-In Creek plus get their face painted or build a birdhouse to create a safe home for local backyard birds ($10 materials fee, while supplies last).
– Sacramento History Museum will offer gold panning and special activities outside the museum on Free Museum Day but the inside of the museum will be closed for renovation during Museum Day & Week. Additionally, Old Sacramento Underground tours are available at 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. and a Gold Fever! Game tour is available at 2:30 p.m. that day (regular prices apply for the walking tours).
– Sojourner Truth African American Museum will offer art activities for children and families, story time, face painting, film documentaries, entertainment special exhibitions, a food court and mural tours throughout the day.
– Verge Center for the Arts will present hands-on activities and special tours.
Nearly 20 Local Restaurants & Eateries Extend Special Offers on Free Museum Day
To make the day even more special, the following local restaurants and eateries are extending discounts and offers on February 2 to those wearing a Sacramento Area Museum sticker they receive at any of the participating museums and destinations that day only (or displaying the sticker on their smartphones):
– Backbone Café (729 J Street) – 15 percent off entire order
– Crazy for Yogurt (four locations: 5150 Arden Way in Carmichael, 4005 Manzanita Ste. 39 in Carmichael, 10824 Olson Drive #D in Rancho Cordova & 2095 Golden Centre Lane #20 in Gold River) – 20 percent off any purchase of $5 or more
– Danny’s Mini Donuts (900 2nd Street, Old Sacramento) – $1 off a dozen mini donuts
– Dos Coyotes (two locations in Sacramento – 6450 Folsom Blvd. #101 & 2701 Del Paso Road #160) – $6 two-taco basket
– Fat City Bar & Cafe — (1001 Front Street, Old Sacramento Waterfront) — free select appetizer with purchase of entree
– The Firehouse (1112 2nd Street, Old Sacramento Waterfront) – 15 percent off food bill (excluding alcohol; restaurant open for dinner on Saturday)
– Hop Gardens (2904 Franklin Blvd.) – free appetizer with purchase of any 12″ pizza
– Hoppy’s Railyard Kitchen & Hopgarden (1022 2nd Street at the Old Sacramento Waterfront) – Friends & Family 15 percent off food purchase
– Marly and Moo (608 Sutter Street, Folsom) – 10 percent off bill (not valid with other discounts or offers)
– MOD Pizza (Howe Bout Arden) – buy one MOD size pizza, get a second for free (BOGO)
– Original Pete’s (5005 Foothills Blvd, Roseville) – 20 percent off bill (not valid with other discounts or offers)
– The Pizza Press – (405 K Street, Ste. 240 in DOCO) – buy one signature or “publish your own” pizza, get one half off
– Pizzeria Classico (702 Sutter Street, Suite A in Folsom) – 15 percent off bill
– RareTea (414 K Street, Ste. 225 in DOCO) – 10 percent off in-store purchases
– Sourdough & Co (5005 Foothills Blvd. #7, Roseville) – 20% off bill (not valid with other discounts or offers)
Sacramento Museum Week Special Activities**
And, new in 2019, Free Museum Day is the kick-off to a week filled with special activities presented by various museums and popular destinations. A sampling of the special activities follows:
– 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. – California Automobile Museum will offer “Downtown Sunday Drives” in vintage cars.
– Noon to 4 p.m. — California Museum will offer visitors reduced $5 admission to explore Japanese American programs. Highlights include docent-led tours of “Uprooted! Japanese Americans During WWII,” plus self-guided tours of current exhibits including “Before They Were Heroes: Sus Ito’s WWII Images” and a complimentary hands-on origami crane activity.
– 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. — Crocker Art Museum will present a Kids & Company Gallery Adventure which is a perfect way to introduce art to children ages 5 and older.
– 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Locke Boarding House Museum will offer a calligraphy demonstration from the Master Calligrapher Anita Lo at the Chinese School.
– 11 to 11:30 a.m. – California State Railroad Museum will present an “All Aboard for Story Time” children’s reading activity.
-11 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Locke Boarding House Museum will offer docent led tours of their Chinese workers of the Transcontinental Railroad exhibit.
– 9 a.m. to noon – gardening enthusiasts can volunteer to help in the Sacramento Historic City Cemetery’s Historic Rose Garden and Hamilton Square Perennial Garden; tools will be provided.
– Noon to 4 p.m. — Locke Boarding House Museum will present an oil painting demonstration with Ning Hou Impressionist Master in the Ning Hou gallery.
– 2 p.m. — California State Library will conduct special guided tours.
– Noon & 1 p.m. — Crocker Art Museum invites guests to explore a single work of art, Juan Carlos Quintana’s “Celebrating Hubris with Hijinx.”
– 6 to 8:30 p.m. – Verge Center for the Arts offers a real-life Adult Drop-In Figure Drawing class.
– 10 a.m. – California State Library will conduct special guided tours.
– 10:30 & 11 a.m. — Crocker Art Museum will offer The Love Tour where art becomes a focus for finding your inner voice and a means of cultivating self-care and appreciation. Additionally, the museum offers Wee Wednesday – Gallery adventures for children age 3 to 5.
– 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Locke Boarding House Museum will present a painting on silk demonstration with Joy Kuo Master in the Locke Art Studio.
– 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Locke Art Studio will offer a free Joy Kuo Master silk screen printing demonstration in the Locke Art Studio
-2 p.m. – California State Library will conduct special guided tours. .
– 6:30 p.m.– Crocker Art Museum will present a film screening of “A Better Life” [2011, 98 minutes, PG-13] Starring Demián Bichir who earned an Oscar nomination for his performance.
– 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Sacramento Historic City Cemetery volunteers will be available to answer questions about the Cemetery, help visitors find specific graves or assist with their genealogical research.
– 10:30 a.m. to noon (drop-in) — Crocker Art Museum will present an Artful Tot program where toddlers explore art making with various materials.
– 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Locke Boarding House Museum will offer a free book mark making demonstration with Joy Kuo Master in the Locke Art Studio.
– California State Railroad Museum will have a 1920s historic rotary snowplow on display and a companion exhibit titled “Snowbound in the Sierra.”
– Crocker At Museum offers a number of exhibitions and installations, including “History, Labor, Life: The Prints of Jacob Lawrence,” “Modern Menagerie: Sculpture by Loet Vanderveen,” “Arte Extraordinario,” “Toadtopia”, Tot Land”, and “Gem Tones.”
– Museum of Medical History will have docents available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. during Sacramento Museum week, Monday through Friday, February 4-8.
– Sacramento History Museum will offer Old Sacramento Underground tours daily and Gold Fever! Game tours on the weekend. Walking tours start at the Sacramento Visitors Center, 1002 Second Street in Old Sacramento while the History Museum undergoes renovations.
– Verge Center for the Arts will offer new and renewing members who sign up during Museum Week will receive an extra three months added to their membership.
In addition to Sutter Health and California Family Fitness, Free Museum Day & Sacramento Museum Week are proudly supported by active and engaged media partners including FOX40 & Studio40 Live, KSEG 96.9 FM, 106.5FM The End, ESPN Radio 1320AM, 102.5 KSFM & 94.7FM, Outword Media and Sacramento365.com.
*Not all SAM member museums will be able to officially participate in Free Museum Day on February 2, 2019, by offering complimentary admission so please review the participant list carefully and/or contact them directly with any museum-specific questions.
**Some museums not able to participate in Free Museum Day on February 2 by offering complimentary admission that day are still able to participate in Sacramento Museum Week.
For more information about upcoming activities offered by Sacramento area museums, “like” them on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/SacMuseums, follow them on Instagram and Twitter @SacMuseums or visit the user-friendly website at www.SacMuseums.org.
About Sacramento Area Museums (SAM)
Comprised of 30 greater Sacramento area museums working in partnership with Visit Sacramento, SAM’s mission is to raise awareness of local museums by giving the community the opportunity to discover the region’s fine art, history, science and wildlife treasures. SAM achieves its mission through implementing cooperative promotions and developing strategic marketing alliances, by encouraging sharing of knowledge and resources among its partner institutions. For more information, visit www.SacMuseums.org.
Media Contact: Traci Rockefeller Cusack at 916-213-4373 or email@example.com
- Aerospace Museum of California
- California Agriculture Museum
- California Automobile Museum
- California Museum
- California State Capitol Museum
- California State Library
- California State Railroad Museum
- Don & June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum
- Folsom History Museum
- Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park
- Locke Boarding House Museum
- Maidu Museum & Historic Site
- SSVMS Museum of Medical History
- Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum
- Powerhouse Science Center
- Roseville Utility Exploration Center
- Sacramento Children’s Museum
- Sacramento Historic City Cemetery
- Sacramento History Museum
- Sojourner Truth African American Museum
- State Indian Museum
- Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park
- Verge Center for the Arts
- Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall)
- Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento)