Museum Day FREE or Reduced Cost Admissions
17th Annual Sacramento Museum Day —
February 7, 2015
Click Here for the 2015 Museum Day Guide
With nearly 25 museums and local destinations participating, the 2015 Sacramento Museum Day is proudly presented by Bank of America and Sacramento Covered. To the delight of the greater Sacramento area community, the participating local museums will offer free or half-priced admission from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, February 7, 2015, during the 17th annual event. Most of the nearly 25 museums will offer free admission whereas two destinations located in residential areas — the Sacramento Zoo and Fairytale Town — will offer half-priced admission to offset traffic control and security costs.
Coordinated by the Sacramento Association of Museums (SAM) and the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau, Sacramento Museum Day is a popular cultural tradition designed to encourage all members of the community to experience the Capital City’s incredible wealth of art, history, science and wildlife — at little or no cost. Many of the museums are within walking distance of each other and easily accessible via public transportation. Event coordinators suggest that guests plan to visit no more than two or three different museums on this day in order to allow adequate time to enjoy the experience and to travel between individual sites.
In addition to offering free or reduced cost admission, many of the destinations are offering special activities during Sacramento Museum Day. A sampling of the special activities include the following:
• The Aerospace Museum of California will offer an “open cockpit” day where most aircraft will be open for viewing (weather permitting), a children’s art contest and on-site exhibitors such as the Tuskegee Airmen;
• The Masonic Service Bureau will be on-site at the Discovery Museum Science & Space Center providing free electronic fingerprints of children for their parents;
• The Heidrick Ag History & Event Center in Woodland will have special monster tractors, antique agricultural equipment demonstrations and even some food trucks on site;
• The Sacramento History Museum will offer hands-on gold panning activities for kids;
• The crowd-favorite Sacramento Children’s Museum mascot “Leo” will make special appearances throughout the day;
• And, the Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum will serve cake to celebrate the birthday of Laura Ingalls Wilder and mark the anniversary of Sacramento’s first public school in February 1854.
“Every year is unique and offers new discoveries for guests to explore on Sacramento Museum Day,” said Sacramento Association of Museums Chair Kristina Swanson. “We’d like to thank our new sponsors – Bank of America and Sacramento Covered – for helping us to present this important event and introduce the community to the amazing array of arts, culture and museum offerings available in the greater Sacramento region.”
While admission is free at most of the participating museums during Sacramento Museum Day, admission to two destinations located in residential areas are half-priced as follows: Sacramento Zoo is $6 for adults, $4 for children ages 2-11 and free for children under two; Fairytale Town is $2.75 per person and free for children ages one and under.
Due to the popularity of Sacramento Museum Day, some locations must limit the number of admissions for safety reasons. The event is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. but note the last guests will be admitted at 4 p.m. More detailed information about participating museums, addresses, limitations, suggested parking and public transit options is available at www.sacmuseums.org (click on “News & Events”), or by calling the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau at (916) 808-7777.
In addition to Bank of America and Sacramento Covered, Sacramento Museum Day 2015 is proudly supported by active and engaged media partners including FOX40, KSEG 96.9 FM, Outword Media and STAR 106.5 FM.
Click Here for the 2015 Museum Day Guide
Participating Museums for Sacramento Museum Day 2015:
Aerospace Museum of California – California Automobile Museum – California State Capitol Museum – California State Railroad Museum – Discovery Museum Science and Space Center – Don & June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum – Fairytale Town – Heidrick Ag History Center (Woodland) – Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park – Maidu Museum & Historic Site (Roseville) – Museum of Medical History – Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum – Old Sacramento State Historic Park – Roseville Utility Exploration Center – Sacramento Children’s Museum – Sacramento Historic City Cemetery – Sacramento History Museum – Sacramento Zoo – Sojourner Truth Multicultural Arts Museum – State Indian Museum – Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park – Verge Center for the Arts – Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall) – Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento)
Media Contacts: Traci Rockefeller Cusack at 916-213-4373, Cheryl Meyer at 916-445-2560 or Roy Kinji at 916-808-5150.
Participating Museums for Sacramento Museum Day 2015
- Aerospace Museum of California
- California Automobile Museum
- California State Capitol Museum
- California State Railroad Museum
- Discovery Museum Science & Space Center
- Don & June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum
- Fairytale Town
- Heidrick Ag History & Events Center (Woodland)
- Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park
- Maidu Museum & Historic Site
- Museum of Medical History
- Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum
- Old Sacramento State Historic Park
- Roseville Utility Exploration Center
- Sacramento Children’s Museum
- Sacramento Historic City Cemetery
- Sacramento History Museum
- Sacramento Zoo
- Sojourner Truth Multicultural Arts Museum
- State Indian Museum
- Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park
- Verge Center for the Arts
- Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall)
- Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento)